Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Iron man 3 - mk 42 build - day 1 helmet

So ive been to the movies , watched iron man 3, and decided for my next project to be Iron man mark 42 armor. This is going to be tough, since ill be using new materials also, LED's.

Im using pepakura files found here, for the base /start, and ill be using  forex (plastic sheets) and eva foam for the most of the armor.

first and primary im using the PVC plastic called Forex or Sintra , they are thin sheets of plastic, found in hardware stores, i got mine in a storage shop, the size of the sheet is around 1x2m (Forex ), 2nd is eva foam which can be found in form of puzzle mats  or rolls commonly used for beach or yoga i think.

Day 1 - Helmet

After printing out the patterns on paper i started to cut them out from forex

Im using masking tape to keep the parts together to see if they fit

Also a helpfull tip, careful with heat gun, it  tends to  bend the PVC quite fast, in certain ways you dont really wish them to bend...

Using scraps of eva foam to fill in the 'thickness'  since the sintra is only 1mm thick

first blood, be carefull while cutting.... >>

Im gluing all this with hot glue, which is  kind of neat since it melts the plastic slightly and bends the edges, but also, can leak out. So i tape the front of the gap i need to merge so the excess glue doesnt leak out

Then fill in the inside with hot glue, without worrying it will drip in between and onto the outer side

Work so far, im still having a bit of trouble of the faceplate fitting the helmet, but it will probably set in when i install the hinges/mechanism that will hold it and move the plate off my face when i want it to.

i will also be filling in the gaps and bends wtih bondo so im not that worried about the slight bends in few places.

No comments:

Post a Comment